About the role:
Zodiac Media specialise in PHP website development covering front and back-end coding and server management.
Over the past couple of years, we have carved out a niche for ourselves in Drupal development for public sector and 'near government' organisations. Drupal development now makes up about 80% of all our work.
As a company we have a strong entrepreneurial spirit and try to balance ongoing client work with the creation of digital products which we can sell as a service. With this in mind, we're currently putting a lot of our efforts into creating a Software as a Service platform for UK Councils. You'd be joining our development team to primarily help build this platform. You would also be helping to support existing client projects, although this would make up a minority of your time. Examples of recent client projects include:
- A Drupal 8 site build for Wrexham Council.
- A Drupal 8 site build for Warrington Council.
- A Drupal 7 site redesign for the British Board of Film Classification.
- A Drupal 8 Commerce site build for Electric Marketing.
Why work at Zodiac Media:
We feel we're a great company to work for, but obviously we would say that, so here are a few reasons why you should choose to work with us:
- You're not a cog in a machine! - Due to our small size developers here take on a lot more responsibility than they would in large agencies.
- Varied and interesting work that means you're constantly learning - Your work will change frequently, as developers move between client projects depending on availability.
- No commute! – We don't need people to work at our office. You can be based anywhere in the UK.
- Good work life balance - We work 9am to 5:30pm with a 1 hour lunch break. We feel 37.5 hours per week is more than enough time spent at work, so it's very rare to find staff working late. We also offer 24 days of paid holiday per year.
Skills & Requirements:
As a start you should have a good knowledge of:
- Drupal 8
- Object Oriented PHP
- HTML & Responsive CSS
- Sass or Less
- Frontend tooling such as Gulp or Webpack
- Native written and spoken English
Ideally, you will also have expertise with:
- Web servers (Nginx or Apache)
- Databases (MySQL or MariaDB)
- The Linux command line
You'll have some commercial level web development experience, be that with a company or through your own projects, and should be confident enough to take on responsibility in development projects. Knowledge of both front and back-end development is a must, as is a native level of written and spoken English.
More important than any of the above is that you are intelligent, passionate about website development, and are always looking to learn and improve your skills.
You must also have the indefinite right to live and work in the UK.
If you tick off all of the above then we'd be really excited to work with you.
How to apply:
To apply please submit an up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, including links to any code repositories you feel are a good example of your skills.
No agencies please!
This advert was posted by our sister company Zodiac Recruitment, who manage our recruitment process for us. They're the only agency we work with, they work for free for us, and we're happy with their service so please save your time and ours by not cold calling or emailing us!