About the role:
Zodiac Media specialise in PHP website development covering front and back-end coding and server management. Being PHP focussed means that project work tends to be in one of Drupal, WordPress, Symfony or Laravel.
Over the past couple of years, we have carved out a niche for ourselves in Drupal development for public sector and 'near government' organisations. Drupal development now makes up about 70% of all our work.
As a company we have a strong entrepreneurial spirit and try to balance ongoing client work with the creation of digital products which we can sell as a service. We also like to keep our skills up to date, so we're not averse to trying out the latest in vogue technologies if our projects justify them. For example, we've recently built a bespoke sales tool which incorporates Python based Machine Learning functionality.
You'd be joining our existing development team to help deliver our client work. The exact work you'd take on depends very much on your skillset and what would be a good match for you. Examples of recent client work include:
- A Drupal 8 site build for Wrexham Council.
- A Drupal 8 site build for Warrington Council.
- A Drupal 7 site redesign for the British Board of Film Classification.
- An internal sales prospecting product that integrates a Machine Learning classifier written in Python with a Laravel application.
- A new US site for stretch tent specialist Intent Productions, built using a WordPress multi-site conversion.
Why work at Zodiac Media:
We feel we're a great company to work for, but obviously we would say that, so here are a few reasons why you should choose to work with us:
- You're not a cog in a machine! - Due to our small size developers here take on a lot more responsibility than they would in large agencies.
- Varied and interesting work that means you're constantly learning - Your work will change frequently as we have about a dozen active client projects and developers move between them depending on availability.
- We have a relaxed and fun office vibe - We have a permanent "dress down" clothing policy, a free barista style coffee machine, and regular "Board Game" lunches where we order in food from Deliveroo and play a random board game.
- An easier commute - Not being based in the city means your commute will be lower stress. Our office is about a 15 minute walk from Stockwell tube, which is on both the Victoria and Northern lines, so we're easy to get to.
- Good work life balance - We work 9am to 5:30pm with a 1 hour lunch break. We feel 37.5 hours per week is more than enough time spent at work, so it's very rare to find staff working late. We also offer 24 days of paid holiday per year.
Skills & Requirements:
As a start you should have a good knowledge of:
- Object Oriented PHP
- HTML & Responsive CSS
- Docker or Vagrant
- Web servers (Nginx or Apache)
- Databases (MySQL or MariaDB)
- The Linux command line
- Native written and spoken English
- Previous work with Drupal, WordPress, Symfony, Laravel, Sass or Less, Gulp or Webpack would be a big plus
You'll have some commercial level web development experience, be that with a company or through your own projects, and should be confident enough to take on responsibility in development projects. Knowledge of both front and back-end development is a must, as is a native level of written and spoken English.
More important than any of the above is that you are intelligent, passionate about website development, and are always looking to learn and improve your skills.
You must also have the indefinite right to live and work in the UK and be able to work onsite at our offices in either London, Bristol or Leamington Spa during normal working hours.
If you tick off all of the above then we'd be really excited to work with you.
To apply just submit an up to date CV via this site, including links to any code repositories you feel are a good example of your skills if you have them.
How to apply:
To apply please submit an up to date CV to email@example.com. If you have examples of your work please send these across (e.g. GitHub links or links to example sites you've worked on).
This advert was posted by our sister company Zodiac Recruitment, who manage our recruitment process for us. They're the only agency we work with, they work for free for us, and we're happy with their service so please save your time and ours by not cold calling or emailing us!